Thursday, October 9, 2008

ANOTHER SUB STORY

This one is from last year- but one of my favorites! 
6th graders, the teacher left me mostly busy work (typical), and the directions were to allow them to work in groups/partners. 
I noticed this one group was chatting WAY more than working and continued to 'check up on them.' I was 'cool and nice' at first, but then it just got ridiculous. This one kid was literally just copying a paper. What was funny is that he wrote really small and she (the paper he was copying from) wrote really big. She skipped lines and he did not. I told him at least 2 times to NOT copy and just work as a group. I told them it was fine to pass out certain problems to each other and share the answers, but to JUST copy papers is NOT ok. 
I came back a few minutes later and the group was finished. I was mostly just interested in the boy and girl's papers. I asked to see them and that's when I had to laugh about the print. I told him, "If you are going to cheat- especially after I gave you warnings NOT to you should at least make sure you copy everything." The girl wrote so big that she continued on the back of the paper. He got tired of writing and stopped copying at the end of the first page. Ummm, by the way... it was in THE MIDDLE OF A SENTENCE!!! 
I might have over reacted a little... but this is what I said/did:
I took his paper, TORE it up in front of him and said, "You can work in groups, BUT you CANNOT copy someone's paper." 
He replied, "My mom works in the district and I'm gonna tell her."
I replied, "What are you going to tell her? You cheated or you got caught cheating?"

No comments: